1. What is Case Studies Project?
The Case Studies Project aims to generate an online collection of complex CFD cases solved using OpenFOAM.
2. Which Case Study can I choose?
Any complex case study on Computational Fluid Dynamics which obeys the laws of Physics can be chosen. However, the applicant has to ensure that the proposed case study has not already been completed or is being completed currently by any other intern. The list of completed case studies and case studies in progress is available on the website. In case the case study has already been completed or is being worked upon by another intern, then the case study proposal will be rejected. Also, note that the responsibility for ensuring such a scenario does not arise bears with the intern and/or his mentor as per the undertaking form.
3. Who is eligible for the internship?
Students pursuing graduation or those who have completed their graduation in mechanical, chemical, civil, aerospace from various colleges are eligible for this internship.
4. What are the prerequisites for applying for the internship?
There are no prerequisites for applying for the internship. The student should be comfortable with using OpenFOAM and should be aware of basic OpenFOAM commands and operations.
5. What is the deadline for the internship?
The internship should be completed within 3 months after the case study proposal is accepted. The applicant has to submit a one-page progress report every two weeks. Applicants may contact us at contact-cfd (at) fossee (dot) in if the deadline needs to be changed. Please note that the extension of the deadline for the completion of the internship will be considered only in case of genuine reasons.
6. What is the last date of completing the internship?
The internship should be completed within 3 months after the case study proposal is accepted.
7. Can the internship be cancelled if it is allotted to me? Has it ever been cancelled for anybody?
Yes. Refusal to meet the deadline, poor solving cases and badgering the OpenFOAM team are some of the reasons as to why the internship could be cancelled. No partial payment will be made in such a case.
8. Is it necessary to come to IIT Bombay for completing the internship?
No. There is no need to come to IIT Bombay at any phase of the internship. All the correspondence will be carried out via e-mails and/or postal services.
9. Is it necessary to have a mentor?
No. But you have to necessarily mention the names of the mentors and project partners if any.
10. Can I work on more than one case study simultaneously?
Yes. But a student should comply with all the deadlines of all the case studies he is working on.
11. Can more than one student work on the same case study?
Yes, a particular case study can be completed by more than one student.
P.S. The honorarium is fixed. It won’t be increased if more than one student is participating.
12. Can I mail and ask if a case study can be submitted for the case study proposal?
Before you mail us *please check the Completed Case Studies and Case Studies Under Progress section* to get an idea as to whether the case study proposal can be submitted.
13. Can I mail my case study proposal?
No. Please use the Case Studies proposal form to submit your proposal.
14. Can I propose a case study that has been completed or is under progress as a different edition?
No. Please ensure that the Case Study chosen by you is not being worked upon/completed by any other student.
15. Do I need to know OpenFOAM before I submit my case study proposal?
The student should be comfortable with using OpenFOAM and should be aware of basic OpenFOAM commands and operations.
16. Can I refer to some cases as a reference?
Yes, the solved cases for completed Case Studies are available for free downloading. These cases and also other cases can be referred to if needed. But you cannot copy them considering the proprietary rights.
17. Can I use some other computing package for creating case study?
No proprietary packages should be used for creating Case Studies. For use of any open source software package other than OpenFOAM, contact us at contact-cfd (at) fossee (dot) in.
18. When can I start solving the case study?
You can start solving as soon as the case study proposed by you is approved and confirmed. The confirmation will be communicated via an automated e-mail.
19. I have completed the approved case study. What do I do now?
Please contact the OpenFOAM team at contact-cfd (at) fossee (dot) in and let them know that your case study is completed.
20. When do I submit the internship forms?
You can submit the forms at any time after your case study proposal has been accepted. Please note that your honorarium will not be released until all the correctly filled forms are received by CFD Team at IIT Bombay.
21. Is there a deadline for submitting the internship forms?
No, there is no definite deadline for submitting the forms. However, the honorarium cannot be released unless the forms are received. Also, the case study will not be published on the CFD website before receiving all the correctly filled forms.
22. What about intellectual rights of the case studies?
The copyrights for case studies will be handed to FOSSEE Project. The name of the creator of case study and mentor will be published along with the pdf file. The case study will be available for free downloading on CFD website.
23. What is the procedure for acquiring certificates/honorarium?
The uploaded case studies will be reviewed and once the cases are found satisfactory, the applicant will be informed. The candidate should then mail ALL the internship related forms AFTER filling the appropriate details to IIT Bombay to the following address: Prof. Shivasubramanian Gopalakrishnan, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400 076 Ph: 022 2576 4133 Please write "OpenFOAM Case Studies Project" on top of the envelope. The honorarium will then be sent via post after all the duly filled forms are received by OpenFOAM Team at IIT Bombay. The e-certificate can be downloaded from http://cfd.fossee.in/certificate after the solved test cases are approved. You need to login in order to download the e-certificate. Please send ALL the correctly filled forms in a SINGLE envelope.
24. How long does it take to receive my Honorarium?
If you do not get your money within 45 days after submitting cases, please get in touch with us - we shall be happy to assist you. If there are problems with the submitted cases, naturally, there will be further delays.
25. Why is there a delay in my Honorarium payment?
On submission of a case study, the review process involves several checks including but not limited to:
1. Incorrect Case file. 2. Completeness of case study (or) sections of case files. In this regard, we are forced to test EVERY case study of EVERY participant thoroughly. Due to many participants, this verification process takes a considerable amount of time. Moreover, dispatch of Government money requires approvals from the Dean's Office, Accounts Office, Post Office, etc which also takes some time. Due to the above listed reasons, immediate acceptance of a case study and processing of payment is highly impossible.
26. Where do I get a one rupee revenue stamp? How does a revenue stamp look like?
You can buy a one rupee revenue stamp from the Post Office. Here is a scan of a fully filled internship form - http://cfd.fossee.in/files/download/forms/example-filled-receipt.pdf
27. Can I propose more case studies after completion?
Yes. You are welcome to propose more case studies. Please encourage your friends to take part in this internship as well.
28. Who do I contact in case I still have a doubt?
You can contact the OpenFOAM team at contact-cfd (at) fossee (dot) in.